Transport Planner job at Institute for Transportation and Development Policy 2023;- The job will entail a significant amount of fieldwork, including site visits and surveys. The Transport Planner will work closely with governments, consultants, communities, and partner organisations.
About the position
The Transport planner will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and will play a key role in supporting the planning, design, and implementation of public transport systems and implementation of facilities for walking and cycling in African cities. The Transport Planner will be involved in reviewing street designs, preparing street design guidelines, developing feasibility studies for bikeshare, planning urban cycle networks, preparing public transport service plans, infrastructure designs, business plans, financial models, and industry reform strategies, among other activities.
The Transport Planner will report to the Transport Systems Manager, working closely with ITDP staff and international experts.
• Conceptualise, draft, and review technical documents, including feasibility studies, concept notes, street design plans, bikeshare feasibility studies, non-motorised transport network plans, and terms of reference.
• Prepare street design drawings and renderings.
• Analyse primary and secondary transport data, prepare conceptual designs, and monitor project implementation.
• Develop travel demand and traffic models.
• Gather information on international best practices and apply lessons learned locally.
• Effectively engage with a range of stakeholders including public transport operators, civic officials, politicians, civil society agents, media, and others to help build support for sustainable and equitable mobility.
• Facilitate training for internal and external stakeholders.
• Prepare progress reports, communications materials, and other ad hoc reporting.
• Contribute to funding proposals.
• Perform any other task assigned.
• Master’s degree in transport planning, urban design, urban planning, transport engineering, civil engineering, architecture or other relevant field.
• At least five years of relevant professional experience.
• Familiarity with transport modelling, street design, bicycle network planning, bikeshare planning, survey design, data collection, and data processing.
• Experience in street design and drafting using AutoCAD, spatial analysis using GIS software, and data analysis using Excel. Familiarity with the Adobe suite is preferred.
• Strong communication skills, including preparing effective graphics and making powerful presentations. Ability to communicate complex transport issues through concise, compelling messages, verbally and in writing.
• Team player who excels at building trusting relationships with clients and colleagues.
• Excellent research and analytical skills. You should enjoy working with numbers!
• Demonstrated ability to manage people and projects to successful outcomes.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects with flexibility, work well under pressure, and keep to deadlines.
• Ability to maintain high standards while contributing pragmatic ideas.
• Strong commitment to advancing ITDP’s mission and to environmental and social justice.
• Availability to travel frequently.
Work Hours: 8 Experience in Months: 60 Level of Education: Associate Degree
Job application procedure
Interested applicants can apply by sending the following information to [email protected] with “Transport Planner, Dar es Salaam” in the subject line:
• Resume and cover letter.
• Portfolio of GIS designs
• Write up of improving the current transport system in Dar es Salaam.
The position will remain open until filled.