Reforestation and Farm Manager job at Aga Khan University 2023;- The Aga Khan University is committed to the development of human capacities through the discovery and dissemination of knowledge, and application through service. Aga Khan University It seeks to prepare individuals for constructive and exemplary leadership roles, and shaping public and private policies, through strength in research and excellence in education, all dedicated to providing meaningful contributions to society.
Reforestation and Farm Manager job at Aga Khan University 2023
The incumbent will have a key role in ensuring the smooth running of the nursery, reforestation, and farm related activities to meet the long-term objective of the environmental sustainability of the Arusha Site and the greening initiatives of AKU by improving the microclimate. protect soil erosion and enhance the watershed to rejuvenate the land and keep it productive. This position will be based in Arusha, Tanzania
Areas of responsibilities:
1. Increase the reforestation of the Arusha land.
• Grow saplings in the Nursery.
• Provide directions to the nursery staff.
• Schedule and monitor planting of trees.
2. Utilization of Demo Plots.
• Direction on demo plots technologies.
• Introduce new innovations
3. Training of Community Members on best practices
• Train staff and other stakeholders.
4. Increase in farming activities and crop production.
• Direction on crop planting.
• Fertigation of different crops.
• Irrigation systems.
• Spraying and harvesting.
5. Smooth running of farming equipment.
• Develop a regular maintenance schedule of the equipment.
• Resource management including fuel consumption.
6. Good landscaping and football field. Staff are well trained and rotated.
• Liase and work closely with the landscaping staff.
• Ensure that the grass is cut regularly and irrigated.
• Greening of the COC surroundings.
7. Coffee plantations and other crops are well maintained.
• Work with the Coffee team leader and provide support on maintaining the trees.
• Schedule tree stumping and pruning.
• Provide support and direction on harvesting and pulping operation
• Support the grading and sale of coffee beans.
• Bachelor/Master of Science Degree related to the field.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in related fields managing a plant nursery, reforestation, and agriculture.
• Experience in irrigation systems, sprinklers, drip, and furrow.
• Familiar with a wide range of indigenous trees and process for growing trees.
• Environmental sustainability and conservation.
• Innovation techniques in farming and best practices.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to build, develop and maintain positive working relationships with
• others, both internally and externally.
• Ability to be self-motivated, versatile, and adaptable to different cultures and people: open- mindedness
• and respect the views of others.
• Strong team leadership and collaborative skills.
• Fluency in both Kiswahili and English. Professional verbal and written communication skills.
• Capacity to prioritize and develop a work schedule/implement plan and monitor progress towards goals.
• Ability to make clear timely decisions.
• Attention to detail and high level of accuracy.
• Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
Work Hours: 8 Experience in Months: 60 Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If you meet the requirements of this position, please send your application package which should include an application letter, an updated CV to [email protected] not later than 26 th March 2023. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.