Part-Time Research Assistant (1 Post) – Research Work: Engaging and Supporting Fathers: A Parenting Intervention to Improve Early Child Development in Tanzania.
|Duty Station||Mwanza, Tanzania|
|Reports to||Principal Investigator|
|Start Date||10th July, 2023|
|End Date||30th August, 2023|
Nafasi za kazi TAHEA Tanzania Home Economics Association is a Professional National Non-Government Organization (NGO) founded in March, 1980. Ajira Mpya TAHEA The Organization was registered in October, 14th 1980 under the Tanzania Societies Ordinance 1954 with registration number SO.6179. And later attained a certificate of NGO Compliance No. 1732 on 4th December, 2006 under NGO Act of 2002. In order to comply with NGOs regulations 2019, the Mwanza Branch was registered separately on 22nd
Read More: Video Zilizo Trend Kuhusu Tessy Chocolate FULL
April, 2022 as TANZANIA HOME ECONOMICS ORGANIZATION (Ajira TAHEA MWANZA) with registration number 00NGO/R/3129. TAHEA MWANZA is implementing Early Childhood Development (ECD) programs in Ilemela, Misungwi and Ukerewe districts of Mwanza region.
Despite the growing body of evidence on fathers in various settings across Tanzania, relatively little is previously known specifically with respect to early childhood development and particularly in Mwanza. Not just in Mwanza but more generally across Tanzania and East Africa, fathers are largely ignored and overlooked when it comes to community-based interventions for caregivers of young children during the first few years of life (that instead target mothers).
Therefore, there is a great need to develop and implement father-inclusive parenting interventions that support fathers’ direct and indirect roles with their children and partners while also comprehensively addressing other underlying psychosocial and cultural determinants. New programs that holistically consider the needs of fathers and from a family-based perspective are likely to have the greatest potential for improving outcomes for men, their partners, and in turn ECD outcomes. Through collaboration, the Tanzania Home Economics Organization (TAHEA MWANZA) and Harvard University are working together to address this evidence gap through a research study titled “Engaging and Supporting Fathers: A Parenting Intervention to Improve Early Child Development in Tanzania”. This study is being conducted in six communities in Ilemela District, of Mwanza region.
After conducting formative research last year with specifically fathers of children <2 years of age, our team has since been developing content to build a parenting intervention curriculum that aims to address fathers’ positive parenting behaviors, healthy couples’ relationships, and support fathers’ mental health. Having now drafted nearly all sessions for our parenting intervention for fathers, we intend to pretest the intervention in the community with both fathers and mothers to ensure its cultural appropriateness and its gender-responsiveness especially with fathers. From July to Aug 2023, the research assistants will facilitate a different draft intervention session with small groups of parents in different communities. Then immediately following this activity, the research assistants will conduct a 60-min focus group discussion with the group using a semistructured topic guide. We will incorporate participants’ feedback to make modifications to the draft sessions to then test the updated version again in another study community and continue to iteratively get feedback and refine accordingly.
Main Purpose of the Role
TAHEA MWANZA is currently looking for a part-time Research Assistant to assist on phase two of the ongoing research work on fatherhood. The Research Assistant will collaborate with other research team members to refine and deliver a draft intervention curriculum with groups of fathers and mothers. The Research Assistant will be responsible for organizing pretesting sessions of the intervention by applying the activities, materials, and behavior change techniques, documenting and records keeping.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate intervention sessions with groups of fathers and mothers from six (6) different communities of Ilemela district in Mwanza.
- Conduct focus group discussions and other interviews as needed to obtain feedback from participants about the draft intervention sessions.
- Making documentation during field work and keeping records of all the gathered information and uploading to google drive for storage and analysis
- Attend and participate in regular briefing meetings/check ins of both the local and international research teams during and after field work to share feedback and reflections.
- Read, sign and adhere to the TAHEA MWANZA Child Protection and Safeguarding Policy and conform to follow it all the time while working with TAHEA MWANZA as Research Assistant.
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Principal Investigator (PI) and the TAHEA MWANZA Executive Director.
- Proven experiences of conducting studies using qualitative research methodologies, especially facilitating focus group discussions
- Experience in community-based social and behavior change intervention research
- Experience with early childhood development, male engagement, and gender-related issues
- Dynamic and engaging interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in Swahili and English Languages
- Basic computer knowledge in particular word, power point and excel
- A highly self motivated individual who can work under minimal supervision, with ability to meet deadlines
How to Apply:
- Applicants should submit their applications including; Application letter, indicating work experiences and Curriculum Vitae with two referees through this email [email protected]
- The deadline for submission of completed application is on Wednesday 28th June, 2023
- Only Qualified applicants will be shortlisted and contacted for oral interview. You are encouraged to include your reliable mobile phone number (s) in the application letter to easy communication.
- TAHEA MWANZA is committed to Safeguarding and Child Protection, and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Background checks on this aspect will be conducted as part of recruitment process.
- TAHEA MWANZA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity. You do not have to pay for you to be employed, If you are asked for any payments consider it as a scam, and kindly contact TAHEA MWANZA office through +255 754 443 226 or [email protected]
Nafasi za kazi TAHEA Tanzania Home Economics Association
New Job Vacancies at TAHEA (Tanzania Home Economics Association) DOWNLOAD PDF FILE HERE