Environmental, Safety and Social Manager (ESSM) Jobs at Green Resources Limited Tanzania (GRL) Green Resources is East Africa’s largest forest development and wood processing company. The company manages approximately 38,000 ha of plantation forest in Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda. It operates industrial facilities including two sawmills, three pole treatment plants and a briquetting plant. Green Resources was established in 1995 and is owned by New Forests‘ Africa Forestry Impact Platform (‘AFIP’).
Green Resources is East Africa’s largest forest development and wood processing company. The company manages 38,000 ha of plantation forest in Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda. It operates East Africa’s largest sawmill in Tanzania, a sawmill in Uganda and electricity pole plants in Mozambique, Tanzania and Uganda. In Tanzania the company manages a briquetting plant.
Environmental, Safety and Social Manager (ESSM) Jobs at Green Resources Limited Tanzania (GRL)
|TITLE||Environmental, Safety and Social Manager (ESSM)|
|REPORTING RESPONSIBILITIES||The ESSM is reporting to the Country Manager of Green Resources Limited Tanzania (GRL) and Sao Hill Industries Limited (SHI) with active support of the Group ESG Manager of Green Resources AS|
We are seeking an experienced and dedicated Environmental, Safety, and Social Manager to join our forestry business. As the Environmental, Safety, and Social Manager, you will play a crucial role in ensuring that our operations adhere to environmental regulations, maintain high safety standards, and promote positive social impact. You will lead the development and implementation of strategies, policies, and programs to protect the environment, ensure occupational health and safety, and engage with communities and stakeholders to build strong relationships and enhance our reputation in the industry.
The responsibilities of the ESSM include:
- You will report to the Country Manager of the Green Resources Tanzania organization and be a member of the GRL & SHI management team. The position will have a functional reporting line to the Green Resources ESG Manager.
- Develop and implement comprehensive environmental, safety, and social management strategies and policies that align with relevant laws, regulations, and industry best practices.
- Conduct regular environmental impact assessments to identify potential risks and develop effective mitigation measures.
- Establish and maintain a robust safety management system, including policies, procedures, and training programs to ensure a safe working environment for all employees and contractors.
- Monitor and enforce compliance with environmental, safety, and social standards across all operations, including forestry activities, equipment maintenance, and transportation.
- Implement and manage occupational health and safety programs, including risk assessments, incident reporting, and emergency response plans.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate environmental, safety, and social considerations into operational plans and processes.
- Coordinate with government agencies, local communities, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) to build positive relationships, address concerns, and support community development initiatives.
- Develop and deliver training programs to raise awareness of environmental, safety, and social responsibilities and promote a culture of continuous improvement.
- Establish and maintain effective monitoring and reporting systems to track key performance indicators related to environmental, safety, and social performance in line with FSC, IFC, ILO and ISO standards.
- Stay updated on emerging environmental, safety, and social trends, regulations, and standards, and provide guidance and recommendations to ensure compliance and drive continuous improvement.
- Represent the company in external forums, industry associations, and stakeholder engagements related to environmental, safety, and social matters.
CANDIDATE PROFILE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, occupational health and safety, sustainability, or a related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Proven experience (7+ years) in environmental, safety, and social management, preferably in the forestry or natural resources sector.
- Expertise and understanding of international certification, preferably in forestry (e.g., FSC and ISO).
- Clear understanding of international ESS standards and best practice (including IFC standards) 5. Strong knowledge of environmental, safety, and social regulations, standards, and best practices.
- Experience in conducting environmental impact assessments, developing safety management systems, and implementing social engagement strategies.
- In-depth understanding of occupational health and safety principles and practices, including risk assessment and incident management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build strong relationships and collaborate effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Analytical mindset with the ability to interpret data, identify trends, and make data-driven decisions.
- Proficiency in using environmental, safety, and social management software and tools.
- Passion for sustainability, safety, and social responsibility, with a commitment to promoting positive change.
- Team player with high degree of integrity and transparency
Join our team and contribute to our mission of sustainable forestry practices, maintaining a safe work environment, and making a positive social impact.