Chief Financial Officer at UBONGO March, 2023 Their show’s Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me currently air in 23 countries across Africa, in Swahili, English, French, Kinyarwanda, Kikuyu, Luo, Yoruba, Hausa, Chichewa, and Juba Arabic.
UBONGO is Africa’s leading producer of kids’ edutainment. As a non-profit social enterprise, they create fun, localized, and multi-platform educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 27 million kids across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones.
They are looking for a Chief Financial Officer. Working at Ubongo won’t be easy, but it will challenge and excite you with lots of responsibilities, plenty of fun, and give you the opportunity to impact the lives of millions of kids every day.
They’re looking for a strategic, dynamic and seasoned finance professional to lead the Finance Department and work with the Executive Leadership Team to build the enterprise and expand impact. The CFO is responsible for leading the formulation and execution of financial strategy and oversees all financial management. The CFO leads a team of (4), and works closely with the CEO, COO and other members of the Leadership team. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Ubongo’s mission, and experienced in all aspects of financial management.
The position will be based out of Tanzania (preferably), or for other East African locations (i.e. Nairobi and others) the role would require frequent traveling to Tanzania.
- Manages all financial operations (financial planning, accounting, cash management, investments, audit and fiscal functions) of the organization including positioning Ubongo for strategic growth and planning in line with the business plan.
- Develop financial management strategies for long range financial planning, cash management, tax, and scalable finance operations.
- Establishes and maintains an appropriate system of internal controls, and oversees the annual financial audits, and tax and regulatory filings for the three legal entities: Ubongo International – US 501(c)3, Ubongo Learning – Tanzanian NGO, Ubongo South Africa – South African PBO.
- Oversees the development, implementation and oversight of financial tools, systems, and transparency practices for smart financial decision-making throughout the enterprise and provides critical financial and operational information for Board, CEO, senior management team.
- Supports strategic planning/long range forecasting at the organizational enterprise level.
- Develops, refines, and implements financial strategy and financial forecasting tools.
- Leads an integrated annual budgeting and planning process and multi-year financial scenario planning.
- Leads the integration and efficiency of financial management, employee expense, and accounting software tools.
- Ensures other departments within Ubongo receive the support and information they need (for example, regular and timely reporting on department budgets and grants).
- Provides timely and meaningful financial information for Board and management decision making.
- Maintains situational awareness of economic conditions, industry standards and market trends.
- Staffs the Board of Directors Finance/Audit Committee; assists in developing committee objectives and meeting agendas and preparing information and materials for Board and Committee meetings.
- Provides strategic direction and development opportunities to the Finance Team, and fosters commitment to Ubongo’s values.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of progressive experience in financial management, including financial planning and analysis, accounting and cash management.
- Demonstrated ability to develop financial strategy, including projections, modeling, and profitability analysis.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field and/or CPA certification.
- Lead with strength, humility and a sense of humor.
- Model responsibility, accountability and compassion.
- Collaborative leader and colleague with the ability to participate in and convene across the organization.
- Proven ability to connect with stakeholders at all levels, in and outside of the organization.
- Passionate about Ubongo and its long term potential.
- Familiarity with both IFRS and US GAAP accounting standards preferred.
- NGO or non-profit experience a plus.
- Advanced degree in finance or related field preferred.