Youth Participation Manager – Global and Tanzania Focused Vacancies at Girl Effect 2022
Youth Participation Manager – Global and Tanzania Focused Vacancies at Girl Effect 2022
Our employees are key to our success. Regardless of their position, every single one of our staff shares our fervent dedication to helping girls reach their full potential. We look for those that have the desire and ambition to effect change in addition to having relevant experience and a strong education. A dynamic and innovative work atmosphere is what you can anticipate from Girl Effect.
Youth Participation Manager – Global and Tanzania Focused
Who we are
Girl Effect is a non-profit working with girls to change their lives, empowering them to navigate the pivotal time of adolescence, so they are enabled to live a healthy life, participate in school, and prepare for their future financially.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
Read Also: New Job Opportunities at UTUMISHI TRA | Call for Interview 2022
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We equip girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the role
We are looking to hire a Global Youth Participation (YP) Manager to co-lead the refinement and roll-out of Girl Effect’s multi-country youth participation strategy. Under partnerships with GAVI and MSD for Mothers, as well as new upcoming programmes, there are exciting opportunities for you to apply your significant experience working with young people.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and implementing multi-country strategies, policies and activities, bringing your expertise to global-level thinking. In addition, you will provide technical support to the implementation of youth advisory panels in several countries, working alongside young people to shape Girl Effect’s work.
Who you are
If you are someone who has a robust understanding of the needs of young people, grounds their thinking in best practice standards and applies this knowledge in creative and innovative ways, this could be the job for you.
- At least 5-years direct programming experience working with young people (male and female) aged 15-25 years, including an understanding of challenges and barriers faced.
- Experience building and implementing inclusive youth participation strategies, policies and activities into grants related to sexual reproductive health, economic empowerment and routine immunisation.
- Experience meaningfully involving young people in the design, delivery and governance of programming.
- Experience establishing and implementing equitable programmes with and for diverse groups of young people
- Experience developing and delivering youth feedback mechanisms, including a strong analytical mindset to identify and act upon key insights.
- Experience developing concept notes and proposals, drawing upon youth participation best practice thinking and approaches.
- Experience of managing risk, budgets and timelines across multiple projects, and to differing stakeholders.
- Experience tracking progress against key milestones and agreed deliverables, to deliver projects on time, on budget and to a high standard.
- Strategic thinker that is able to go beyond the obvious to spot and take advantage of immediate and long-term opportunities in a way that positions Girl Effect as a credible partner, innovator and leader
- A strong communicator and confident writer who strives for clarity and simplicity while navigating ambiguity and diverse perspectives.
- Comfortable taking direction and working without close supervision.
- An organiser who enjoys getting things done and making sure others do the same.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build and maintain meaningful and supportive relationships with young people in order to deliver successful projects.
- A critical thinker and proactive problem solver.
- A commitment to empowering young people to make life-changing choices. and someone who believes in a girl’s right to take control of her health, body & decisions that affect her life.
What you’ll do
- Support the refinement and roll-out of the Global Youth Participation strategy, including the development of associated tools, policies & processes as needed.
- Lead the development and facilitation of capacity building activities for staff, partners and young people, including literate, non-literature and diverse groups.
- Design and implement global tools for tracking youth participation activities, success stories and lessons learned, including the analysis and dissemination of key findings.
- Provide technical assistance to youth participation programmes and partnership across priority geographies (Ethiopia, Tanzania, Kenya, South Africa and India).
- Up to 40% travel to support leave cover and set-up in new regions/geographies, as required.
Programme Design, Delivery and Partnerships
- Support proposal development & donor reporting for multi-country and cross portfolio programmes.
- Active participation in partnership and donor conversations (virtual and in-person), including the development of workshop/meeting materials as required.
- Work with the communications team to identify and implement a meaningful way to engage young people over time to share their impact stories.
- Support the communications team to review and develop global social media content, helping to spark discussion and raise Girl Effec’s profile.
- Strengthen Girl Effect’s external credibility in youth participation networks through active participation in working groups, coalitions & conferences.
Youth Participation Lead – Tanzania
- Align Tujibebe’s youth participation (YP) activities to the ambitions of the global youth participation strategy.
- Work with Global YP Director & Head of Legal to review scope, structure and contracting of longer-term engagement of young people in Tanzania.
- Embed Girl Effect’s global meaningful participation approaches into a Gavi funded HPV and routine immunisation programme.
- Implementation and iteration of the Tujibebe Youth Advisory Panel. Including but not limited to programme strategy, recruitment and contracting, pastoral support and programme evaluations.
- Track youth participation activities to inform global monitoring and reporting.
- Facilitate capacity building activities for Tanzanian staff, partners and young people, including literate, non-literature and diverse groups.
- In-country proposal development & donor reporting, drawing upon global & local youth participation best practice thinking, approaches and trends.
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organisation that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those we work with and for, especially children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment, uphold standards in our safeguarding policy and our code of conduct.
- To take reasonable steps to prevent any harm caused by Girl Effect
- To report any safeguarding concerns through the reporting pathways
This role is subject to a standard background disclosure
This role is being recruited as a 12 month fixed term contract.
Ability to travel for extended periods of time – up to 40% of time is a requirement for this role.
Closing date for applications: 13th January 2023